- Phoenician Study
- Timeline Figures, Books and Resources ( You are here)
- Make Phoenician Purple Dye
- Art Project- Phoenician Batiks Part 1
- Art Project- Phoenician Batiks Part 2
Timeline Figures and Notebook Pages for Phoenicia
I have created some simple Phoenician timeline figures. This short PDF also includes a few blank writing pages that could be used for various writing assignments or mini reports. I’m overall pleased with how they came out but I’d love to hear feedback as it would greatly help me with the development of my Art Around the Ancient World series. I hope to make a much larger packet of Free Timeline figures for it as well!
Books About Phoenicians for Kids
Books were a bit hard to find that were solely about Phoenicia. I found an interesting mythology book on the Phoenicians and Canannites but didn’t include it for religious reasons. Normally, I don’t have any problem including mythology in our homeschool- especially as a literary form. You’ll see lots of literature selections on mythology from the Greeks to the Goths here. But I found that this particular book was not Christian friendly. Generally, however, I think mythology when presented correctly is a wonderful addition to any homeschool program.
Watch this very timely Google + Event from Bright Ideas Press if you’d like to hear more on the topic!
On the other hand, two books on the Phoenicians that I can whole heartedly recommend are:
- Ancient Israelites and Their Neighbors: An Activity Guide– This book is really wonderful and has tons of terrific hands on activities for a full program supplement as well as for putting your own study together.
- Phonecians (Ancient Civilizations -Rourke)– This book is a great text option. I recommend it for elementary or a one, or maybe two, day read for middle school. It could also be a great resource or reference book that is simple but includes the main info you’d want as far as dates and historical info.
- Also Related:
The Young Carthaginian : A Story of The Times of Hannibal – We haven’t read this one ourselves but it came well recommended to me for older children and as a historical fiction selection.
Teaching Resources on the Phoenicians:
This is by no means a complete list but is a good start and I’ll be adding more as I find them helpful!
Interactive Quiz on Phoenicia for Story of the World Chapter 15
Interactive Vocabulary on Phoenicia
Tina’s Dynamic Homeschool- Phoenician Lapbook
Phoenician lesson plans with printable copywork
Short, Quick and Easy Explanation of Murex Dye Process
Metropolitan Museum of Art
The following lists each lesson by civilization, what each lesson’s focus will be, and the media/project tutorial. (These are subject to change.)
- Prehistory– Cave Paintings- Painting the Ancient Way
- Sumerians – Ancient Writing -Cylinder Seals in Clay
- Egypt – Egyptian Art and Hieroglyphs- Multi Media/ Egyptian People Coming Soon!
- Assyrians and Babylonians – Glue Painting- Babylonian Art Lesson for Kids
- Phoenicians– Ancient Dyes– Batik Bags [Follow the 5 Day Series.]
- West Africa– Akuaba Wooden Doll- Scratch Art
- Minoan and Mycenaean– Early Greek Masks-Paper Mache Masks
- Persians– Persian Carpets and Decor- Paper Weaving
- China- Tangrams– Tessellating Birds
- Greece- Etruscan Vases- TBA
- Rome- Mosaics- TBA
Be sure to follow my Pinterest board too! The possibilities are epic!
Follow Stephanie @ Harrington Harmonies’s board Education | Art Around the Ancient World on Pinterest.