L. Frank Baum Biography for Kids
In my Wizard of Oz travels I found a wonderful L. Frank Baum biography for kids that I would like to recommend:
I rather enjoyed reading it myself on the way home from the Oz Museum.
A few facts about L. Frank Baum and The Wonderful Wizard of Oz:
- Fact #1: He was born on May 15, 1856. Celebrate his unbirthday with this Wizard of Oz Printable Pack from Walking By the Way!
- Fact #2: Do you know what the L. Stands for? Lyman, which he greatly disliked!
- Fact #3: He was born in Chittanango, New York. Each Year they hold an Oz-Stravaganza!
- Fact #4: All Baum’s books have strong female leads; but he had four sons.
- Fact #5: Lot’s of his inspiration came from living in South Dakota. Baum never lived in Kansas.
- Fact #6: He was an advocate for a woman’s right to vote.
- Fact #7: Baum did a variety of jobs before his eventual success such as: acting, raising chickens, and selling china!
- Fact #8: He was a good father and enjoyed telling stories to his children and their friends. He eventually decided to write them down.
- Fact #9: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz was Published in 1900.
- Fact #10: It is known as “The First American Fairytale”.
Enjoy this Quote from L. Frank Baum:
I have learned to regard fame as a will-o-the-wisp which, when caught, is not worth the possession; but to please a child is a sweet and lovely thing that warms one’s heart and brings its own reward.~ L. Frank Baum