This month I plan to focus on pumpkins and all the fun things to make with them. I like to teach in themes, I guess I like to blog that way too! So this month lot’s to do with pumpkins.
I love pumpkin seeds and not the kind from our carving pumpkins, but you can find them in the organic food section with other seeds and nuts. You’ll find the flax seeds there too. If you like pumpkin seeds like me, you may be interested in my Pumpkin Seed Banana Muffins recipe. This granola is without nuts, so it is allergy friendly for most as well.
Pumpkin Flaxseed Granola
This pumpkin flaxseed granola recipe is a wonderful autumn mix. I experiment with different granola combinations and this one is amazing. I really love it. Now, keep in mind that my granola is loose and has nothing that sticks it together. I like it this way because it keeps the sugar low and is more like breakfast cereal to me.
- 4 c. whole grain oats- I like Rob's Red Mill
- 1 c. pumpkin seeds
- 1 c organic raisins
- ⅓ c. flaxseeds
- ⅔ to 1 c. dried apples
- 1 tsp. of my pumpkin pie spice mix
- 4 tbsp. canola oil
- Mix all ingredients in a large bowl, except the oil. Be sure to evenly coat the granola with the spices.
- Once well coated then stir in oil and toss until lightly covering all the granola. It should all get soaked up leaving a very light coating that is barely noticeable. Your granola should never be greasy so start slowly.
- Bake in a baking pan at 350 degrees for 20 minutes tossing every 5 minutes till golden. Do not let scorch!
- Let cool.
- Store in an air tight container. Serve with milk, soy milk, or almond milk.
To make Pumpkin Pie Spice:
(This makes one shaker full. And just in time for all your pumpkin pies and other pumpkin recipes!Be sure it is well combined then just add 1tsp. to any recipe.)
*Uses: Pumpkin or Sweet Potato Pie, Candied Yams, Toppings for Eggnog or Cappuccino and Granola!
You can get all my spice mix recipes here, ten in all.