I had some ripe bananas that needed using this week and wanted to put a bit of a twist on them. Now that September is here I’ve been thinking about Autumn, my favorite time of year. While thinking about how could put a little Autumn twist on banana muffins, plus now having allergy concerns-no nuts:(…
I came up with adding pumpkins seeds instead of walnuts and got “Pumpkin Seed Banana Muffins”! And to my surprise they came out terrific!You can get pumpkin seeds at any grocery store. I like to buy mine form the organic foods section, then I know what I’m getting is certified organic.
Pumpkin Seed Banana Muffins
- 1 c. unbleached all purpose flour
- ½ c. whole wheat flour
- ¼ c. wheat bran
- ½ c. whole grain or steel cut oatmeal
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. Salt (optional)
- ½ c. organic sugar
- 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice mix
- 1 egg
- ½ c. milk
- ¼ c. canola oil
- 1-2 ripe mashed bananas
- ½ c. pumpkin seeds
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Grease muffin pan or spray with non stick cooking spray.
- Place a dry ingredients in bowl and mix.
- Combine wet ingredients in a second bowl and mix.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and mix.
- Fold in pumpkin seeds. Spoon batter into muffin pan and top with pumpkin seeds.
- Bake 18 min. for regular size muffins (makes 12) or 25 min. for extra large muffins (makes 6). Times may vary.
Carlie’s fall favorites:Weekend Potluck, The Better Mom, NOBH, Kids in the Kitchen