You know your a foodie when you read food magazines for fun. I love the cooking part but not so much the clean up. Today is Thursday, which means I am thankful for my food co-op which gets delivered to my door. What a blessing!
What’s a Tomatillo?
Last week I got a Mexican themed combination of foods in my chef box which inspired today’s recipe. And I learned how to use a Tomatillo. What’s a tomatillo?
Though sometimes called Mexican tomatoes, because they are used in sauces and salsas, they have a more citrus flavor.
My family enjoyed what I made with them:
Fresh Tomato and Black Bean Salad
- 3 Tomatoes
- 2 Tomatillos (optional- you can substitute corn )
- 2 Sweet Pepper varieties – used colored or whatever you have
- 1 Can of Black Beans
- 1 Onion (or one bunch of green onions)
- 1 Can of Black Olives Sliced
- ½ Jalapeno Pepper Fresh (optional)
- 1 Tbsp. Grapeseed oil ( you can use salad oil)
- 1 Tbsp. Lime (or lemon) juice
- 1 Clove Minced Garlic
- ⅓ c. Packed Fresh Cilantro Chopped
- Chop tomatoes, tomatillos, sweet pepper, black beans, onion, olives and jalepeno and place in mixing bowl.
- Mix ingredients well.
- Add oil, lime, garlic, and cilantro.
- Mix again well.
- Serve with Tortilla Chips.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
Sometimes it’s easy to take for granted the abundance of good food we have. Food is something we miss only when we don’t have it. We truly are blessed and I am very grateful for being able to give my family good eats.
Today, I am Also thankful for …
- My son’s last day of college, I bet he’s thankful too!
- A loved one being cleared for a necessary surgery.
- The fact that it’s still summer (Yeah!)And….
- Moving soon.